Day 8: A Photo That Makes You Sad


Part of growing up is realizing that you want something and going for it. Sometimes that is easy and sometimes it is a lot harder then you thought it would be. Most of the time it involves the latter.

Two and a half years ago I found someone that made me happier then I have ever been in my life. I essentially found the missing other half of myself somewhere in the city of Philadelphia. Two years ago my other half asked me to move in with them and I felt complete. That was the easy part.

Growing older often involves moving away from something that you are comfortable with, that you love so very much, and that is hard for you to think about being without. Mine was my family, the beaches that I loved to visit, and the security of a home without real world worries. The family part was the hardest because my mother and my father are truly my best friends and I miss them every day that I don't get to talk with them, laugh with them, and see them. This has been the hardest part.

Before I left, as I had my inner suspicions that I wouldn't be back permanently,  I took a few photos of things that I wanted to remember about my home while I was away. While I knew I could always come back, I also knew that I would have to leave again. I wanted to have something permanent with me in my new home to remember the amazing things about my old home.

It seems silly but this photo is a close up of a plaque that is attached to a wooden wishing well my Uncle made us when we first moved to New Jersey 20+ years ago. Whenever I had to tell people how to get to my house or where my house was I would always reference the well because it was one of those things that not many people have. It also holds a lot of background in photos of accomplishments that my family has been through over the years: communions, graduations, holidays, and etc. It is very much a part of me as it is a part of my home which I miss so very much every day.

Comments

Popular Posts